- "You know what I love about funerals? Everything I own is black. [...] I hope you've got a fresh pot on. I look like death, but I gather that's appropriate."
- —The Séance[src]
Klaus Hargreeves, originally labeled as Number Four and best known as the Séance, is one of the forty-three superpowered babies with several great abilities. These powers include telekinesis, communicating with the dead (mostly through ouija boards), channeling the dead, communicating through airwaves, possessing people, immortality and levitation. He could easily become an unstoppable force of nature to save humanity on a number of occasions, but his heavy drinking and frequent drug usage make him much less powerful. He rejoined the Umbrella Academy in 1980 to stop the apocalypse and had fought with his brothers in the Vietnam War. He is the only member of the Academy to have died and come back to life.
The child that would become Klaus Hargreeves was born at the same time as forty-two other extraordinary children. As a baby, he was adopted by the world-famous scientist and entrepreneur Sir Reginald Hargreeves with the express intention of training them to save the world. Klaus lived at the special academy set up by Hargreeves to train the children. Designated as Number Four by Hargreeves, Klaus had psychic abilities including being able to contact the dead. He had a morbid and fretful temperament, and Sir Reginald found that he resembled an extra from an Ingmar Bergman film.
As a boy, Klaus was sweet and vulnerable. However, Sir Reginald experimented on Klaus more than he did the other children. The experience changed him, causing him to become crueler in Vanya's opinion.
The Umbrella Academy
Ten years after their adoption, the Umbrella Academy made their public debut to counter the threat posed by the Zombie-Robot Gustave Eiffel and the rampaging Eiffel Tower in Paris. Klaus was part of the team during the battle, and tried to use his abilities to contact an engineer in the spirit world to give them advice on how to stop the Eiffel Tower. The battle ended with the death of Eiffel and the launching of the Eiffel Tower into space. After the mission, Klaus joined the others having celebratory ice cream.
Following the death of Sir Reginald, Klaus returned to the Umbrella Academy. Meeting Luther and Allison outside, Klaus intended to try and contact the spirit of their father to complain about having his allowance cut off. Klaus was present for Number Five's explanations about how he managed to return from the future, and then attended Sir Reginald's funeral in the grounds of the Academy.
Powers and Abilities
- Séance is able to talk with, and channel, the dead
- He can come back from death, due to God's not liking him very much
- He is able to project his spirit, including through televisions
- He has advanced telekinesis, able to lift at least 40,000 tons
- He appears to have at least limited telepathy
- Séance was not affected by Hargreeves' monocle, which caused 00.05 to pass out when he wore it
Séance cannot fully use his powers when wearing shoes
Reginald Hargreeves also believes that his morbid temperament hinders his reaching full potential.
Séance is a talented actor
He can speak fluent Vietnamese, and at least some French
- Mon Dieu!
- ...But the Past Ain't Through With You
- The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite
- The Umbrella Academy: Dallas
- The Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion
- You Look Like Death