- "Jesus, who do I gotta kill to get a decent cup of coffee?"
- —Number Five[src]
Number Five is one of the forty-three children who were all born on the same day in 1989 to a mother without any previous signs of pregnancy. The baby was one of seven adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves with the intention of training them to save the world. Number Five has the ability to time travel, and ended up trapped in the future as an old boy, where he discovered that the world was in ruins. He eventually returned to The Umbrella Academy years later with a message that the world was due to end in eight days. Number Five is played by Aidan Gallagher in the Netflix adaptation of The Umbrella Academy. Sean Sullivan plays an older Number Five.
After he fails to avert the apocalypse, Five finds himself transported to Dallas, November 25, 1963, in the center of another apocalypse. He quickly learns that this apocalypse is a direct result of him and his family manipulating time; once again he is forced to assemble The Umbrella Academy to mitigate the threat to humanity.
His ability is space-time manipulation. It allows him to travel through space and time and teleport objects without physical contact.
As the rest of the Umbrella Academy members, "Number Five" was born on October 1st, 1989 and was adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, who, along with Grace, raised Number Five and the rest of the Hargreeves siblings.
Quest to save the World
With his ability to jump through space and time not yet perfected, Five found himself transported to a near future in which the world had been destroyed. Five attempts to travel back to the present but finds himself unable to do so.
Having managed to travel back to the present, Five explains the events, but finds that Vanya does not believe him, citing that time travel has messed with his mind, just as their father had warned. Five has trouble convincing his siblings of the events too, but is eventually able to convince them when they're confronted by Hazel and Cha-Cha, who attack them.
With the rest of his siblings on board, Five is eventually forced to reveal their future deaths to his siblings, who question why he did not tell them sooner. Later, a flashback to the future — in which all of the Five's siblings are dead — Five is recruited by the Temps Commission who agree to allow him to retire to a time of his choosing after five years of service; he agrees, but secretely uses this time to travel to the present, eight days before the apocalypse.
With the revelation that Vanya is responsible for destroying the Academy — not the apocalypse — Five is conflicted with his siblings on how best to handle the situation. Eventually, they decide that they shouldn't abandon Vanya. A fight breaks out between Vanya, Five and the other members of the Umbrella Academy, and all hope seems lost. Five reveals that he has a plan: he will take all of his family with him through time in an effort to avoid the apocalypse. Despite not being sure of his abilities, Five is successful in travelling through time with his family.
Following his attempts to avert the apocalypse, Five finds himself transported to Dallas, 1963, in the midst of another nuclear apocalypse. He witnesses as his siblings, the Umbrella Academy fight the Russians prior to a nuclear explosion that ends the world. Moments before the world ends, however, Hazel arrives and tells him to come with him if he wants to live; Five obliges and Hazel takes him back in time to before the apocalypse and explains that he caused the apocalypse by bringing his siblings back in the timeline. Hazel tells him to save the world one more time but is unable to explore more before he is assassinated by the Swedes.
Five tries to get his siblings on board with his attempt to save the world for the second time, but is instantly rebuked by both Luther — who has built a life for himself — and Diego, who is attempting to prevent the assassination of President JFK. Five is later able to convince Diego to help him save the world, and the two try and talk with the 1963 version of their father about his involvement in the assassination of JFK. Five is able to convince Vanya to his side shortly after after he offers insight into her past, which she is happy to recieve due to her amnesia.
After Five is able to get all of his family back together, and on his side, he realises that his only option is to work with the Handler in exchange for a briefcase from the Temps Commission that will allow him to travel back with the Umbrella Academy back to their rightful place within the timeline. Five makes a shocking discovery along the way that Lila Pitts is actually the Handler's adoptive daughter. The Handler offers Five a proposition: she will give him a briefcase if he agrees to assassinate the members of the Commission board; he agrees.
Five's attempts to get his family back to their timeline fail, however, and he is forced to abandon the briefcase before it is activated. Five explains to Luther that the only option is to go face a previous version of himself in the same timeline and plead with him to hand over the briefcase. Older, previous Five is initially reluctant to give Five the briefcase, but Five is able to convince him in exchange for the correct math that would return him to 2019 in his original body; Five is annoyed to find that the briefcase is destroyed in the process, however.
After the members of the Umbrella Academy are able to save Vanya from destroying the world for a second time, Five and the other members of the Academy face off against the Handler and the Commission. They are successful in killing the agents, but all of the members of the Academy — except for Five — are shot to death by the Handler. Scared, Five remembers advice given to him from Reginals about traveling back in time minutes, rather than decades. He is able to travel back in time and prevent the Handler from killing his siblings, and makes a deal with Herb to allow him to take a briefcase and return his family to their rightful place within the timeline.
At age 13, Number Five became trapped in the apocalyptic future for more than 40 years. When he found a way back, his body regressed to that of his 13-year-old self, while his mind stayed the same. As a result, he has the personality of a 60-year-old and is frustrated at being trapped in the body of a child. He is shown to have a genius intellect, often dismissing others, including his family, as stupid or inferior, and expressing disinterest in their personal affairs. He is also shown to be sarcastic, pragmatic, and incredibly prideful. He also exhibits impulsive behavior due to his prideful nature, which is seen when he brazenly uses his time-traveling powers as a boy despite Reginald Hargreeves' warnings that he was not fully prepared to wield them.
Number Five is also shown to be a ruthless and incredibly efficient killer. While he does not enjoy killing, he seems to have no qualms about the people he has killed and is more than willing to eliminate anyone, even innocent people, whose deaths may stop the apocalypse from happening and even displays nonchalance when making plans to murder them. He gained fame in his times as an agent of the Temps Commission for his success in killing countless individuals on missions, which he did as part of his contract in order to get back home to the present. Overall, Number Five has shown to be perfectly willing to eliminate anyone who stands in the way of his goals.
Despite his antisocial behavior, he does have compassion and cares for his family deeply. He works tirelessly both in the past and future to prevent the apocalypse and is seemingly the most devoted member of the family in stopping it. He even refuses to involve his family most of the time out of fear they would die. When he "renegotiates" his contract with the Temps Commission, he demands that his family be saved as well.
Powers and Abilities
- Space-Time Manipulation:
- Teleportation: Number Five has the ability to teleport both short and long distances, which he used frequently to evade Hazel, Cha-Cha and the Temps Commission. Despite being able to travel at will, multiple travels within a short time exhausted Five frequently, and the Handler noted that "even you [Five] have limits". In addition to teleporting himself, he is also able to take other people with him when he teleports, as shown when Diego teleported with him as they were running from Commission agents in The End of Something. He is also able to teleport objects without physical contact, which is shown in a flashback in We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals, where he replaces a robber's gun with a stapler.
- Chronokinesis: Five can travel through time. Five, however, had not mastered this ability, and the first time he used it, he accidentally traveled to the end of the world and was unsuccessful in traveling back. Despite being less adept at time travel, Five is a quick study and in The White Violin, he was able to travel through time and take his siblings with him; something he had never done before. In The End of Something, Five is able to reverse time by a couple of minutes, undoing events during that time so that only he remembers them and can alter events.
- Master Combatant: Number Five was a great combatant even as a child. After he teleported into the future, he learned advanced techniques from the Commission. He became a skilled assassin and fighter.
- Master Assassin: Number Five was the most deadly assassin in the Temps Commission, able to use his powers he was able to kill multiple people in a matter of seconds, even after regressing his body to his teenage form.
- Expert Tactician: Number Five is a brilliant tactician capable of quickly formulating battle strategies and new plans if the situation changes, like being able to elaborate different complex plans in order to defeat different enemies in difficult situations, and be victorious.
- Intimidation: Number Five knows how to be quite intimidating, because of his mental instability and aggressive way of acting he manages to intimidate others even after he assumes his adolescent form.
Number Five was in a "relationship" with a mannequin called Dolores, who kept him company during his time in the future, as well as in the present time after he found her in the department store during his fight with Hazel and Cha Cha. He is shown to be deeply caring and protective of Dolores and treats her like a real person, even going so far as to have conversations with her as if she were talking to him. Despite his affection, Five ends up returning Dolores to the department store and saying his goodbyes. On his way out, he asks an employee to give her something new to wear, because "she likes sequins."
|The Umbrella Academy Characters on Netflix|
|The Umbrella Academy||Luther • Diego • Allison • Klaus • Number 5 • Ben • Vanya • Sir Reginald Hargreeves • Grace • Pogo|
|Villains||Hazel • Cha Cha • The Handler • Leonard Peabody • The Swedes • A.J.|
|Other||Lila Pitts • Harlan Cooper • Sissy Cooper • Raymond Chestnut|