- "Anyone makes a fat joke, and I'm out of here."
- —Luther Hargreeves[src]
Luther Hargreeves, originally labeled as Number One, is one of the forty-three children who were all born on the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989 to a mother without any previous signs of pregnancy. The baby was one of seven adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves with the intention of training them to save the world. Ranked by their individual usefulness, Luther was Hargreeves' Number One and the leader of The Umbrella Academy. He possesses superhuman strength and durability.
Luther was the only member of the Academy who did not leave, and continued to serve Sir Reginald. Sent on a mission to stop a biochemical threat, Luther is critically injured and Sir Reginald is forced to use a serum to save his life. The serum gives Luther an ape-like physiology, greatly increasing his muscle mass and strength. In an effort to give him focus, Sir Reginald sends him to the moon to watch out for threats, and Luther send regular reports back to his father.
Following Sir Reginald's death, Luther comes to believe he was murdered. As events unfold, Luther finds out that Sir Reginald never read any of the reports he sent back and believes that he was sent away for not being a good enough Number One.
Having been caught up in Five's failed attempt at dodging Vanya's apocalypse, Luther finds himself in Dallas, 1962. It is here he works as a driver for the owner of a burlesque bar and on occasion, uses his super strength to win fights in underground boxing rings.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Appearance
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Differences Between Comics
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
- 11 See More
As the rest of the Umbrella Academy members "number one" was born on October 1st 1989, somehow he ended up in Sir Reginald Hargreeves' hands, where was raised by him and Grace — who he called dad and mom.
Luther had been sent away to the moon by his father, Reginald, at a young age. During his time on the moon, in which he was alone, he sent numerous reports back to his father on Earth, but received no response.
When Luther returned back to Earth upon his father's death, he was shocked to find that Reginald had been ignoring all of the reports that Luther had sent back to Earth; he was especially disappointed when Pogo shows him the research and he believes to have been sent to the moon simply for not being a good enough "Number One".
Relationship with Allison
It becomes visibly clear that there is a connection between Allison and Luther, and neither one of them can deny it. Nevertheless, the two bury the connection due to their siblingship.
After their father's death, however, and their reunion, neither one of them is able to deny it any further and when Allison finds Luther distraught over his recent discovery surrounding his father, she comforts him. The two later dance and in the midst of the moment, begin kissing. Despite this, Allison plans to leave but asks Luther to catch the flight with her. Luther dismisses Allision, however, and his descent into turmoil begins.
Reuniting with his siblings
After Five fails to protect the Umbrella Academy from the apocalypse, Luther finds himself transported to Dallas, 1962, where he builds up a life under the guise of Jack Ruby. He fights regularly for him in an underground boxing-ring in exchange for mentoring and a father figure.
Luther quickly becomes dissatisfied with his life, however, when he bumps into Vanya and realizes that all of his family are not dead as he had initially believed. He asks Jack to find Allison for him, and he successfully does so. This doesn't end well for Luther, however, as when he visits Allison's house he bumps into Raymond Chestnut, Allison's husband, and learns all about the life she has built for herself without him.
Luther later bumps into Number Five, who tells him about the second apocalypse they have caused by encroching on the timeline in which they do not belong — as a result, they need to find a way back home. Luther is initially reluctant to go along with Five's plans to reunite his family after finding out about Allison, and believes that he is best placed where he is and where he has built a life for himself.
Luther's mind is changed, however, when he bumps into Allison on the street and the two get talking about the lives they've built for themselves. Luther tells Allison about the apocalypse and the two agree that they must try and help Five restore the timeline; Luther begins struggling with his feelings for Allison again, however.
After a while, Luther is able to reunite his family with Five's help, and the Umbrella Academy agree to return to their own time and restore the timeline. When he arrives back in 2019 with the rest of his family, however, he is faced with a shocking discovery: he is no longer "Number One".
Luther is a loving, protective and righteous individual. He is shown to immediately throw himself in harm's way and act as a shield in dangerous situations and is shown to have a firm belief in right and wrong. He was the only of his siblings to stay at the academy and continue his work as a superhero, trusting his father's commands implicitly. Luther is shown to define himself as the leader of the Umbrella Academy and as his father's "Number 1" taking his role very seriously and devoting his life to his father's cause. As a result, he never left the Umbrella Academy or developed a life outside of it, becoming isolated and sheltered. He notable mentions that he never even had friends due to his devotion. As a result, he has a somewhat naive, almost childlike aspect to him. When he discovers his father has never read his reports from the moon, he is devastated and lost, feeling he wasted his life and causing him to spiral out of control and lash out by going to a rave, taking drugs and getting drunk.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: Luther possesses immense strength, which was further amplified by his new ape-like physiology. As a child, he could easily lift and throw a fully grown adult across a room and through a window. His strength is enough to lift up slightly a farm truck off for Diego trapped leg as a results of at least 1,000lbs he can lift up.
- Enhanced Resilience: Luther possesses an extremely resilience body, which was further amplified by his new ape-like physiology. He is able to shrug off most physical impacts during combat, and could even take the full weight of a falling chandelier without injury. Luther is not invulnerable, however, as Diego managed to cut him with a knife and draw blood, and he is shown to hide from bullets. Though his body was enough to survive a missile from 1963 without much injury.
- Expert Leadership: As a child, Luther did in deed had expert-level leadership. Though he slowly started to give up on being the leader of the Umbrella Academy, due to him never living up to his father’s expectations, Luther is still an expert on being a leader.
Before taking the serium, he was tall, but slim with muscular body. Until his death, he was brought back to life with new physical body that became likely to be bulking of primate.
Luther and Allison are adopted siblings and share a somewhat romantic relationship. When they were younger, they would sneak out and secretly hang together. They formed a deep and meaningful bond between one another. Luther cares very much for Allison. When Klaus, Diego, and Five came to him to ask him to help search for Harold Jenkins with them, he refused. But soon after hearing that Allison was in danger, he joined them. Luther was furious when he found Allison lying on the floor, choking on her own blood. This caused him to lock up his own sister. Luther was heartbroken when he found out that Allison had moved on, and because of this realization, he lost dedication in his matches and was defeated, and soon after fired.
Differences Between Comics
- In the show, Luther has super strength (high-level superhuman strength) and enhanced resilience. In the comics, Luther has enhanced strength (low-level superhuman strength) and enhanced durability.
- In the comics, Luther and Five are twin brothers. In the show, Luther and Five are only adoptive brothers.
- Luther's appearance quite differs from his comic book counterpart. Luther has light/dark blonde hair and blue eyes, while in the comics, he has white hair and often uses a space-gun.
- Fans may agree that Luther's powers and appearance makes him somewhat a combination of both Beast and Captain America in Marvel comics.
- The similarities between Luther and Captain America.
- Both are leaders of their groups.
- Both have been given a serum that altered their appearance and made them stronger in the process.
- Both have blond hair.
- The similarities between Luther and Beast.
- Both have ape-like appearances.
- Both have superhuman strength.
- The differences between Luther and Beast.
- Beast has superhuman intelligence and is smarter than Luther.
- Beast's furry body has a blue color.
- Luther's furry body has a brownish color.
- Season One
- Season Two
|The Umbrella Academy Characters on Netflix|
|The Umbrella Academy||Luther • Diego • Allison • Klaus • Number 5 • Ben • Vanya • Sir Reginald Hargreeves • Grace • Pogo|
|Villains||Hazel • Cha Cha • The Handler • Leonard Peabody • The Swedes • A.J.|
|Other||Lila Pitts • Harlan Cooper • Sissy Cooper • Raymond Chestnut • Marcus • Fei • Alphonso • Sloane • Jayme • Christopher|