- "I know everything about you, you are an open book written for very dumb children!"
- —Lila to Diego in The Frankel Footage
Lila Pitts is a fellow patient at the psychiatric institution that Diego Hargreeves finds himself in when he is transported back in time. The two make quick friends and plan an escape together, which ends up being successful.
Unbeknownst to Diego, Lila is working undercover for the Handler, her adoptive mother, and was planted in the institution as a way to get an insider within the Umbrella Academy. She is also one of the forty-three children born on the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989 to mothers without any previous signs of pregnancy. She possesses the ability to mimic the powers of others, although she is limited to only mimicking one at a time.
Lila was one of the forty-three children born on October 1st, 1989 to mothers with no previous signs of pregnancy. After her parents were killed by Number Five at the request of the Handler, Lila was taken in and raised by the Handler for numerous years before she eventually began working for her indirectly. She was told that her parents had been killed in a home invasion.
In the first episode of the season, viewers find Diego dressed in white and residing in a mental institution, where he’s unwillingly sitting in group therapy with some other disinterested participants. He meets Lila shortly after, and the two successfully execute a plan to escape the facility. Lila is reluctant to leave Diego, despite him telling her that the two of them need to go their separate ways.
Lila and Diego grow closer and closer, and she eventually becomes privy to Five's plans to avert a second apocalypse and restore the timeline to how it previously was. Unbeknownst to Diego, however, Lila is the adoptive daughter of the Handler and has been placed close to Diego to allow her to protect Number Five at all costs. Lila is able to protect Five from the Swedes despite this raising concerns with Diego, and Five finally figures out that she is working for the Commission with the Handler.
Five alerts Diego to this fact, and he alienates Lila and refuses to talk with her or interact in any other way; despite this, Lila tells Diego that she does love him, but he is reluctant to believe nor accept it. This leaves Lila with no option but to drug Diego and bring him into the Commission, where she is now Head of Security. Lila is able to broker a deal with the Handler to allow Diego to take up a role at the Commission, but she is made accountable for Diego's actions, with the Handler citing that she will be the one to personally kill Diego if the need arises.
Battling the Academy
Lila is annoyed to find that Diego has left the Commission, and along with the Handler, tries to track him down and eliminate the Umbrella Academy once and for all. In a fight between the Academy and the Commission, she shows that she is able to mimic any ability, which gives her an advantage over the members of the Academy as they fight. Eventually, Diego is able to convince her that she is like them, and that they are her family. She questions the Handler over if she ever loved her, and the Handler shoots her, killing her instantly. Five is able to go back in time and avert this, and Lila escapes the Cooper farm unscathed.
Powers and Abilities
- Power Mimicry: Lila is able to mimic the powers of the Umbrella Academy, at least while in close proximity to them and typically use these powers with great skill, besting their original owners in combat with ease. It is suspected, however, that she is unable to master mimicry itself and can only use one power at a time which would render her vulnerable if everyone ganged up on Lila at once. So far Lila has been shown to use the following powers:
- Teleportation: During her battle against Number Five, Lila was shown to use his teleportation to fight against him and constantly used it to evade or sneak up at him with little effort.
- Reality Manipulation: During her fight against Allison, Lila was able to use her reality manipulation powers against her to make her stop breathing. Interestingly Lila was able to manipulate her without first saying "I Hear a Rumor" first. As seen where when Allison attempted to manipulate her and first to say "I Heard Rumor", Lila was able to compel her to stop breathing by following up her command before she could say her own.
- Superhuman Strength: During her fight against Luther, Lila was able to copy his superhuman strength and use it to stop his fist and physically overpower him and throw him outside the house and smash the walls as she did.
- Sound Absorption: Lila was able to copy Vanya's power to absorb, redirect and focus sound and convert it into powerful blasts of energy. As seen where she first harvested the energy Vanya released to annihilate the Temps Commission army and redirect it against the Umbrella Academy.
- Skilled Combatant: Lila is a excellent hand-to-hand fighther who was taught by The Handler, being able to knockout 2 guards and fight Allison, Otto and Five exceeding in most off the occasions.
- Main article: Diego and Lila
Diego and Lila formed a strong bond upon meeting within the psychiatric institution they were both placed. Lila helped Diego escape from the institution and for a short time, she accompanied Diego and his family in their attempts to fix the timeline. When Diego finds out that Lila is an insider for the Commission, he feels betrayed and the relationship between them quickly sours.
Not wanting to lose Diego, Lila drugs him and brings him into the Commission, where she strikes a deal with the Handler for Diego to work in the Commission.Number Five goes back in time enough to stop the Handler from shooting Lila or any of the Umbrella Academy. In this new timeline, the Handler is shot before she can answer her pleas for the truth and a distraught Lila flees, so her feelings remain unknown.
- Fans may agree that Lila is somewhat a combination of both Taskmaster in marvel comics and Huntress in dc comics.
- The similarities between Lila and Huntress.
- Both are skilled assassins.
- The similarities between Lila and Taskmaster.
- Both have mimicry powers.
- Both are skilled assassins.
- The differences between Lila and Taskmaster.
- Taskmaster only has the power to mimic her opponent’s skills.
- Lila can mimic the powers of superhumans, especially the Umbrella Academy.
- Season Two
|The Umbrella Academy Characters on Netflix|
|The Umbrella Academy||Luther • Diego • Allison • Klaus • Number 5 • Ben • Vanya • Sir Reginald Hargreeves • Grace • Pogo|
|Villains||Hazel • Cha Cha • The Handler • Leonard Peabody • The Swedes • A.J.|
|Other||Lila Pitts • Harlan Cooper • Sissy Cooper • Raymond Chestnut • Marcus • Fei • Alphonso • Sloane • Jayme • Christopher|