- "Everyone changes the world. Everyone. And it’s scary, but that’s kinda the deal."
- —Diego Hargreeves[src]
Diego Hargreeves, originally designated as Number Two is one of the forty-three children who were all born on the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989 to mothers without any previous signs of pregnancy. The baby was one of seven adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves with the intention of training them to save the world. Ranked by their individual usefulness, Diego was Hargreeves' Number Two with the power to manipulate thrown objects such as knives while in flight.
After Five fails to avert the apocalypse, Diego finds himself transported to Dallas, September 1, 1963. Following claims that JFK has been assasinated, Diego finds himself locked up, but breaks out of the hospital with his newfound friend, Lila, of whom he later begins to develop feelings for. Diego attempts to save the day — and the president — all on his own in an effort to show the Umbrella Academy he is worthy.
Diego is a rebellious, impulsive and brash individual with a tendency to show off. However, beneath his confident, cocky behavior lies a deeply insecure individual who desperately wants to prove himself. He has an sibling rivalry with his brother Luther, who was their father's favorite and who he could never measure up to in the eyes of their father. He has a deep emotional connection to his animatronic "mother", more so than his siblings as she was the only one to express care towards him as an individual and helped him overcome his stutter. As such, he is fiercely protective of her even going so as to throw evidence away that could possibly implicate her in his father's death.
He is the most emotional of siblings and is quick to act on these emotions without thinking. He is angry and unforgiving towards Vanya for writing her book without considering the trauma she went through as a child. He also rushes in to avenge his friend Patch against Hazel and Cha Cha without a plan, nearly getting himself killed in the process.
As the rest of the Umbrella Academy members, Diego was born on October 1st, 1989 and was adopted by Sir Reginald.
Relationship with Lila
After his siblings fail to prevent the apocalypse and Five transports them through time, Diego finds himself in Dallas, 1963. Diego becomes obsessed with preventing the assassination of JFK, and is institutionalised as a result.
In the institution, Diego meets Lila Pitts, a fellow patient at the institution, and the two become friends and plot an escape together. Five foils the plan on numeorous occassions, but the two are eventually able to escape and reunite with Number Five on the outside; it is here that Lila becomes privy to the mystery behind the Umbrella Academy and their plans to save the world.
Diego is betrayed by Lila, however, when he finds out that she has been planted into Diego's life by the Handler, and is actually aligned with the Temps Commission. Diego tells Lila that the two are done with eachother, however Lila drugs him and brings him into the Commission to work for them, much to his dismay.
Saving the timeline
Inside the Commission, Diego becomes fascinated when he learns of the Infinite Switchboard, a room where the Commission oversees the entire timeline. He finds out that Vanya is the trigger for the apocalypse in 1963, and further realises that Vanya "is the bomb, and will always be the bomb". He escapes the Commission with the help of Herb, and reveals to Five and the other members of the Umbrella Academy the details of the apocalypse.
Diego and the other members of the Umbrella Academy are able to manage the threat of Vanya and, along with Ben, are able to prevent the apocalypse. They are, however, faced with the issue of Harlan Cooper, and Diego accompanies the rest of the Academy to the Cooper farm where they try to save Harlan.
They are able to save Harlan but are forced to fight off with the Handler and the other agents of the Commission. They are successful, and Diego is able to convince Lila that the Academy is her family, and he reveals to Luther that he loves Lila.
Powers and Abilities
- Trajectory Manipulation: Diego has the ability to curve or even stop the trajectory of anything he throws, usually one or both of his dual knives, as well as other things in motion such as Soviet or Commission bullets. In the second season, he shows that he is able to manipulate the trajectory of bullets that are being shot at him.
- Master Knife-Thrower: Diego is extremely adept at throwing knives, his weapon of choice. Also shown to be quite accurate on his enemies.
- Master Martial Artist: Diego possesses extensive physical and combative ability, with him being skilled athlete and martial artist.
- Staff Proficiency: Throughout season 1 and 2, Diego is skilled with using a staff when fighting his opponents.
- Main article: Diego and Luther
Diego and Luther are adopted brothers and very close. throughout the series they constantly argued and disagreed due to their traumatic childhood and being raised by Reginald. While Diego vilified Sir Reginald, Luther praised him and treated him as if he had raised his children right. Diego, due to his rebellious nature, found this absurd. He often argued, and even combated, with Luther due to their different opinions on Reginald. They ,soon after the apocalypse, put their differences aside and contrived together to stop the forces working against them. Luther and Diego were even the first ones to make it on time to the alleway in Öga for Öga. Despite their differences, Luther and Diego are very clever and when put together, can outrun and overcome any obstacle hurled at them. With Diego's rebellious nature and Luthers authoritative attitude, the two opposing mindsets can come in handy.
- Main article: Diego and Eudora
Diego Hargreeves previously had a relationship with Detective Eudora Patch. They presumably met in the police academy before Diego was kicked out and then pursued their relationship, which was ended for some unknown reason. Their relationship may be described as fake looking in on, but this is proven to be false and their relationship was genuine when Diego is by Eudora's side after she is killed by Cha Cha.
- Main article: Diego and Lila
Before the beginning of Season 2, Diego had met a woman named Lila in a mental facility where he was convicted after being found with his knives outside a store. After Diego goes to see his father, Lila nurses him back to health and they eventually hook up. Soon after, we discover that the Handler is in fact Lila's mother and that Lila was suppossed to play with his mind but ended up falling for him.
After the group of siblings attempt to go back in time but fail and Elliot is killed by the Swedes, Lila drugs Diego and takes him to The Commission. This is where he uses the Infinite Switchboard to discover Vanya's fate. Diego then left The Commission to go save Vanya, consequently leaving Lila behind. She then confides in Herb saying that she loved him, but then Lila discovered her parents kill order and that Five killed her parents. She then goes to attack the siblings and we realise she is one of the 43 children born on October 1st, 1989. When they had revealed the truth about the Handler's role in the assassination it leads to a heart warming scene between the two about family. Diego then watches as Lila grabs a briefcase and vanishes and that is the last we see of her.
Differences between Comics
- In the show, Diego has power to manipulate trajectory, while in the comics, Diego can hold his breath for an unlimited time.
- Diego's appearance also differs from his comic book counterpart. Diego is hispanic and has brown hair and eyes, while in the comics, Diego has blonde hair and lighter skin color.
- Fans may agree that Diego is somewhat a combination of both Batman in DC comics and Bullseye in Marvel comics.
- Similarities between Diego and Batman.
- Both have had financial backing from their parents to get the best training money can buy.
- Both regularly go on patrols in their city.
- Both fancy themselves as detectives who believe in being thorough.
- The differences between Diego and Batman.
- Diego has superpowers, especially trajectory manipulation (not superhuman lung capacity; in the comics), which gives Diego the upper hand of defeating Batman in battle.
- In the show, Diego is hispanic (with brown hair and brown eyes).
- As Bruce Wayne, Batman has black hair and lighter skin color.
- Batman uses various tools and equipment.
- Diego uses knives and a staff.
- Season One
- Season Two
|The Umbrella Academy Characters on Netflix|
|The Umbrella Academy||Luther • Diego • Allison • Klaus • Number 5 • Ben • Vanya • Sir Reginald Hargreeves • Grace • Pogo|
|Villains||Hazel • Cha Cha • The Handler • Leonard Peabody • The Swedes • A.J.|
|Other||Lila Pitts • Harlan Cooper • Sissy Cooper • Raymond Chestnut • Marcus • Fei • Alphonso • Sloane • Jayme • Christopher|